Monday, October 28, 2013

Rainbows in Cubao

Paeng Ferrer
28 Oct 2013


"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone.
Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion
for the moment that we're not alone." - Orson Welles


The blinking lights from that cheap toy
put me in a trance.
It was probably made in China
with a cartoon character perched on top.

The trivial things you find
in the messy streets of Cubao,
especially at night.

Out of envy, from the toy
or perhaps from her happiness,
I let out a thick streak of smoke to her face
from the cig I've been carrying all day.
She wept fear. I didn't apologize.

What a cheap electronic imitation of rainbows
in the hands of a child
but it made her eternally blissful.

You thumped me on the shoulders
reminding me of my morals.

I didn't even move,
not a single heart beat
because a tiny throb becomes thunderous
when everyone else says nothing.

I’m sorry if my house needs dusting.
I am dust and you must take care of asthma attacks.

Why do people neglect to care
even though it is the only truth
that is exquisite and hopeful?
See if I care.

So I went to my dusty lodging and locked the door
with a pendulum chain
that I prefer never to open once more.

You just stared at the roads
and clutched your bag tightly like a lover
waiting for your bus.

I guess you're happy too,
just like that toddler in tears,
when you hopped on your ride.

Puzzled, the vendor gazed at me.
I gave him 50 bucks
for that tasteless toy
and handed it to you.
You refused politely.

See if I care.
My house endures dust.
The flashing plaything persists to annoy
while I throw away my cigarettes.
I stare at the door,
where the sliding chain still swings,
and bang my head on the doorknob! #

No comments:

Post a Comment